Higher Ed Trivia: 15 Fun Information for 2013 In addition to offering a compelling account modern-day undergraduate trainees, the Chronicle of Higher Education has got compiled an array of miscellaneous reports for its annual Almanac.
Some bits of trivia are actually entirely foreseen but others leave possibly professionals scratching their brains.
For example , difficult surprising the number of education majors has had a real hit— down 6-8 percent in 20 years— but could you have suspected that during the same phase majors around park, recreation, leisure, in addition to fitness tests rose by way of 734% proportion?
Or do you know Liberty University, in Lynchburg, Virginia, mature by 940% in the ten-year period ending in 2011?
For you if you don’t have some subscription on the Chronicle of Higher Education , I am spreading 15 « fun facts » you can definitely find interesting at least useful dialog starters:
- The most qualifications awarded this years went to internet business, management, advertising and marketing, and connected support companies (369, 042); the fewest went to navy technologies in addition to applied scientific research (64).
- Between freshmen, 21 years old. 1 per cent characterize themselves as ‘conservative, » although 26. 7 percent are generally « liberal. inches
- In 2011-12 the average total pay out for public-college presidents went up to $441, 392, a rise of five. 7 % from 2010-11
- Over nineteen percent of school freshmen aspire to earn your Ph. Deborah., while 20. 4 per cent want to subscribe the health-related profession seeing that doctors, vets, or cosmetic dentists.
- After a decade-long surge, postsecondary enrollment droped by two-tenths of a % in slip of right before christmas, to 21 years of age. 6 huge number of undergrad plus graduate college students.
- Among frosh enrolling in four-year colleges in the slide of 2012, 38. 4 percent announced spending 6-8 or more a long time per week engaging in homework in their last year an excellent source of school.
- The majority of salary throughout all skills ranks from private educational institutions was $99, 771 throughout 2012-13, weighed against $80, 578 at public colleges.
- A bit over 10 % of youngster reported wasting over 29 hours/week performing ‘for pay’ during their a year ago of high college.
- The average in-state student existing on campus at a open public institution given 8, 655 in teaching and fees together with $9, 205 in room together with board; usually the private undergraduate living in campus paid out $29, 056 in education costs and fees in addition to $10, 462 in room together with board.
- The most common ‘probable’ subject of study/major among freshmen is small business (14. 4%) and, the popular is usually physical discipline (2. 5%)
- The most convenient growing industry in terms of increase in bachelors degrees given is ‘construction trades, ‘ which proceeded to go up by a whopping just one, 267 p . c in 2 decades.
- Slightly through 46% for freshmen shared a home more than 100 miles at home, while twelve. 4% described living 10 or lesser number of miles from home.
- More than two-thirds of college students expressed self-confidence in their entire academic means, though not even half considered them selves above average around mathematical or possibly writing ability.
- Almost 87% of freshmen expect to finished their degrees of severity in some years or even less.
- The very fastest-growing common research body in the country is certainly Texas Can certainly University which inturn increased through 85. 7% from drop 2001 so that you can fall 2011, while the best growing general public master’s financial institution was Lakewood ranch Gulf Coast University which often grew by simply over 200%.
The actual ACT Method for Subject Examine Requirements
For most learners, SAT Matter Tests are thankfully never part of the approval rat race. It’s only a not many highly « selective » schools the fact that either will need or rather strongly advise the distribution of some Subject Examine scores to be considered meant for admission.
But to be clear, there are a selection of main reasons why colleges might possibly like to notice Subject Lab tests. Sometimes they really want particular Matter Tests coming from students excited about specific premier or programs of review. Or they are required involving students trying to15328 enroll in more rapid or distinct honors services. Homeschooled learners are often asked to send Issue Tests to substantiate what they also have learned.
In addition to students attempting to underscore competence in a distinct subject may want to submit dozens regardless of needs to be college involves.
It’s surely something to look at as you develop standardized test-taking strategies for high school, and also might want to pencil in specific checks as they overlap with Innovative Placement or possibly other advanced coursework whilst you move through high school graduation.
Yet no matter good motives, it’s occasionally hard to squash in all the screening in time in order to reach deadlines, particularly when you’re planning to put on Early Determination or Earlier Action.
If you’re feeling the panicked with regards to Subject Tests either since you also never obtained around to be able to taking all of them or your own scores were not quite as tall as you had expected they would come to be, there is web template .: a number of schools will allow you to replacement the TAKE ACTION with Posting for KOMMET Subject Lab tests.
Not only does this represent financially sound solution to the particular problem— you simply need to pay for 1 test rather than several— however , because the REACT is given with September, you do have a chance to put together over the summertime and receive a test that could be guaranteed to give results in time to early purposes.
In other words, one avoid hurrying scores through October or maybe worrying pertaining to whether or not the University Board could transmit standing in time based on deadlines.
However for those of you thinking about the ACT answer to the Subject Examine dilemma, be aware that what a college or university requires may very well be different from which they expect of their best people. There is not accord within the school admissions neighborhood as to whether the actual offer to be able to substitute tests should be considered at point value. What’s clear would be that the majority of young people admitted to schools post Subject Assessments. So you should look into opting away from Subject Tests only if you are feeling your fares would perform a disservice in your candidacy.
To remain in mind that many colleges encourage scores latter into the procedure, and you can contemplate taking Area of interest Tests in late fall or even early The month of january of elderly year for a back-up in order to submit when your application is certainly deferred right from early entrée or you are usually eventually designed into a hold on list.
For the record, and here is a list of schools writing professor accepting typically the ACT having Writing instead of9126 both LAY and Subject Tests (special thanks to Cigus Vanni who seem to provided often the list):
- Amherst University or college, MA
- Barnard College, NY
- Boston University, MA
- Red University, RI
- Bryn Mawr College, PA (note several other testing options)
- Columbia College or university, NY
- Fight it out University, NC
- Haverford Faculty, PA
- McGill University, The us
- Pomona College, CA
- Hemp University, TEXAS
- Swarthmore College or university, PA (note other examining options)
- Stanford University, MOVING AVERAGE
- University associated with Pennsylvania
- Vassar College, NYC
- Wellesley Institution, MA
- Wesleyan College, CT
- Yale College or university, CT
Sep 16, 2013
Encountering situation more standard of This summer than Sept,, the Higher Education and learning Consultants Connection (HECA) strike it hard the road the other day for a tour of six to eight colleges and universities positioned in the greater Pittsburgh area.
Or any six campuses were busy with hobby. Students who began classes many months earlier have been settled within established daily routines and viewed energized by bright in addition to sunny days and nights.
On the administrative side, entrée offices were definitely working concealed from the public view to put finishing touches on student recruiting programs planned for the autumn. It was an awesome time to maintain Pittsburgh.